Thursday, May 10, 2012

GLUTEN-FREE Making the News!

It's been a little while (OK, like 5 weeks) since I was last able to write, and I apologize.  But hopefully  you've had a chance to try some of my recommendations, or maybe you've been sampling some good gluten-free foods of your own.  If so, I'd love to hear about your favorites!

Dominos Pizza's 10" gluten-free crust with pepperoni, sausage, beef, bacon, onion and bell pepper... YUM!
As I'm sitting here writing, the doorbell just rang.  It was a beautiful sound because it signified that the delivery guy from Dominos was here with their NEW gluten-free pizza!  Yesterday, Dominos Pizza made nationwide news with the announcement of their new GF pizza offering, available at all 5,000 U.S.  locations.  So naturally, at 10:20 p.m. I decided to do a little "research".  Let me just say, though it's a bit pricey ($17.38 for a 10" six topping pizza on a GF crust, including tax and delivery charge), their pizza is a very decent way to satisfy your craving for a savory italian treat.  It's definitely better tasting than most pizzas offered at national chains (BJ's, CPK, Maria's).  Best of all, they deliver!  Next time you are hanging out with friends and they decide to have pizza delivered, Dominos will keep you from feeling left out just because you can't eat gluten.

As I watched the evening news last night (KTLA-5 Los Angeles), they did a special report on eating gluten-free.  I wonder if they knew about Dominos press release in advance because the timing of their segment perfectly coincided with the biggest GF announcement I can recall.  Here's a link to the news segment if you're interested...  The Rewards and Risks of a Gluten-Free Diet

Lastly, and this didn't really make the news, but it was BIG news to me... I discovered that Nacho Cheese Doritos (the only flavor that I ever loved) has been re-formulated to no longer include wheat products!  Over 3 years ago I had to give up eating the only chip I ever consumed because for some insane reason the makers of Doritos decided they needed wheat in the Nacho Cheese variety of their chips.  Several other flavors were "wheat free" (not labeled gluten-free though), but this most perfect flavor had WHEAT listed on the ingredient list!  I couldn't imagine why this was the only flavor that had wheat in the formula.  Is that what bound the tasty nacho cheese flavor powder to the corn chip?  Then how did they get the cool ranch flavoring to stick to those chips without wheat?  Anyway, I picked up a bag at the store, looked longingly at it and dreamt of the good 'ole days when I used to enjoy them weekly.  I instinctively turned the package around to glance at the list of ingredients as I alway do with every packaged food product I purchase and that's when I did a double-take!  In fact, I actually asked my daughter and sons, who have much younger (ie-better) eyes than I to read the label again.  They confirmed that it no longer listed wheat anywhere in the ingredients.  A bright light immediately appeared from the heavens and shone down on that giant family-sized bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos I was holding, and choirs of angels sang a heavenly chord.  It was a revelation!

The announcement of Dominos' new crust, the special news report on a gluten-free diet, and eating my first bag (not the giant size) of Nacho Cheese Doritos in over 3 years made yesterday an amazing day in my otherwise less-than-delightful adventure in eating gluten-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment