Thursday, March 22, 2012

Oh, For Pizza's Sake!

Keeping with the Italian food theme, I felt we should discuss pizza.  I have always felt that pizza was God's  perfect food.  It has all the major food groups - grain, dairy, vegetables, meat, fruit (if you like that), and it's even round... like the world!  I believed so strongly that pizza could heal you that I made sure to have it at least once a week.  Until I found out that I had to give up wheat and gluten.


It's understandable then why I have tried just about every GF pizza crust I could find in the hopes of discovering one that tastes just like their "real" counterparts. After an exhaustive search (and a small fortune), I'd like to tell you that I've finally found one, but that would be stretching the truth.  What I CAN tell you is that there are some decent alternatives out there.

I just discovered Mamma's Brick Oven Pizza & Pasta (2 locations in Pasadena area).  Their pizza is New York style with a pretty large selection of toppings.  Best of all, they offer a gluten-free crust (for a small additional charge) that is actually darn good!  It's crispy, but still bends near the middle, and boasts a slightly sweet flavor.  It took the company over a year to develop this crust recipe (seems like time well spent).  In addition, they have a large variety of pasta entrees on the menu, many of which can be made with GF penne or spaghetti.  I didn't try the pasta yet, but the pizza was more than acceptable.  My wife even sincerely liked it (trust me, that's saying a lot since she doesn't think most GF foods are "tasty").  Check them out if you are in S. Pasadena or E. Pasadena. www.mammasbrickoven.com

Another quality GF pizza can be found at The Luggage Room in Pasadena (260 S. Raymond Avenue, next to the Del Mar Metro Station).  Their toppings are authentic Italian meats and therefore will dazzle your tastebuds.  The crust is micro-thin and crispy.  Drawbacks? It's fairly expensive (about $18) for a pizza that's a bit on the small side, parking is not terribly convenient, and they aren't open for lunch on weekdays.  www.theluggageroom.com

Lastly, if you don't live near Pasadena and haven't found a great pizza place near you that offers a good GF crust, then try making your own gluten-free pizza at home.  Udi's makes the best build-your-own pizza crust I've found to date (also the only white sandwich bread that is edible).  Available in the frozen section of your local "health nut" store, this crust lets you make your own creation in about 10 minutes.  Note: the package says to cook it 4 minutes, but I like a crispier crust and leave it in for nearly 11 minutes.  Buy good quality ingredients for your toppings, and don't forget the spices and seasonings.  You can still have movie night at home without settling for a salad.

I am happy to say that giving up gluten does not mean that you must end your love affair with pizza.  It won't be exactly the same as before, but at least you'll find your smile returning to your face a bit more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment